NSI SAYS FCC SHOULD ASSUME INTERNET REGISTRATION FUNCTIONS

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Tue Apr 22 18:58:15 UTC 1997

Jordan Mendelson writes:
> If NSI no longer provides registration services for the Internet for a
> number of tlds, the need for NSI goes down. When the need for NSI goes
> down, the amount of money they make goes down, which leads to downsizing
> and loss of jobs as well as decreased speed in registrations.
[...]
> It took THIS long to get InterNIC to where they are today, and now we want
> to shove in 28 new ones?

That must explain why service and quality are always better around
monopoly providers. Competition just doesn't provide anyone with any
incentive to provide good business.

In fact, I say we nationalize all the ISPs in the country. Obviously,
by eliminating all this silly competition, we can improve price,
quality and service. Anyone want to go and lobby with me for it?

Perry
Speaking for myself, and not in an official capacity
Not close captioned for the sarcasm impaired