Response from Cyber Promotions (fwd)

Daniel Senie dts at openroute.com
Mon Apr 21 22:42:49 UTC 1997

At 03:56 PM 4/21/97 -0400, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
>On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
>
>> Read the msg below from Cyberpromo.  It is valid for ISPs to block at the
>> router level as well as the sendmail level as per Cyberpromo's mail.  I
>> figured some people here may be interested in this. :-)
>
>[snip]
>
>> - END-USERs - A variety of e-mail and filtering software packages are
>> available on the Internet for end-users.  For example, Eudora and procmail
>> offer sufficient protection from e-mail of your undesired Internet sites.
>> Or you can use the latest in filtering software, e-Filter, sold on
>> Cyber's own web page at... http://www.cyberpromo.com
>>

>Hold up. Just one second.
>
>Cyberpromotions is selling software to block their own spam? That's like
>the mob selling you protection insurace to protect you against the mob.
>
>Gee, sounds like they are trying to get money from both ends.

I noticed this too... reminds me of Cincinatti Microwave, who made the
Escort and Passport Radar detectors (among others). Their other line of
business was making radar guns for the police... always seemed to me like
one hell of a business. Every new feature (or frequency) they'd put into
the police units meant they could sell a whole new round of detectors to
the public (and probably new detector-detectors to the Canadian police).

Daniel Senie                           mailto:dts at openroute.com
Sr. Staff Engineer                     http://www.openroute.com/
OpenROUTE Networks, Inc.               (a wholly owned subsidiary of
Proteon, Inc.)