What's going on?

Bill Becker bbecker at iconn.net
Sun Apr 20 19:17:04 UTC 1997

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Barry Shein wrote:

> From: "Matthew James Gering" <mgering at ricochet.net>
> >This can be solved technically. Once the originating MTA must be the same
> >network as the originator of the SPAM, it will be much easier to deal with
> >the SPAM issue.
>
> No it can't be solved technically, except in theory.

Not even in theory.  There is no way for service providers or governments to
stop spam.

> What has to be done is to get these third-party relay spammers
> arrested, sued, and their heads hung out on poles for all to see and
> give pause to others who might think of doing this.

Judges (in the US) would not do that because nobody dies or goes broke
as a result of spam.  It's merely annoying.  But even if US judges were
willing to nail spammers, the spammers would simply move out of their
jurisdictions.  With strict anti-spam laws in place, what would you do if
you were being spammed from a site in Liberia?  Same thing you do now.

> To me, saying this can be solved technically is like saying that a
> rash of window breakings in your neighborhood can be solved
> "technically" -- everyone merely has to nail up plywood over all their
> windows and voila', end of problem.

Well, your options are limited.  You can do technical things because that's
within your power.  But the only laws that will affect spam, are the
laws of economics.

Bill