Sprint Filters - what are they?

Gregory Hersh ghersh at bbnplanet.com
Tue Apr 15 18:32:34 UTC 1997

A while ago we had a customer with some routing problems which were caused
by Sprint filters (127/8 - 191/8, deny anything longer than /16). When
customer called Sprint, he's been told by someone from tech support that
'Sprint doesn't filter anything'. When I called support, I've been told
that on 127/8 - 191/8 range Sprint denies anything longer than /16. This
morning the same customer called Sprint again, to confirm this information,
and been told that for the above range Sprint denies anything longer than /19.
It seems like each time you call Sprint support, you hear a different story.

Will someone from Sprint _who knows_ confirm their filtering policy which
I have as follows:

0/8 - 126/8, deny subnets of historical A's
127/8 - 191/8, deny anything longer than /16
192/8 - 205/8, deny anything longer than /24
206/8 - 223/8, dney anything longer than /19
192/8 [RIPE], deny anything longer than /19

It would be really nice to have it posted at NANOG web page as well
(alas, only AGIS done so).

Thanks,

- Greg -