VitalSigns: Event Report: (Server, Slow or failed connection, red) (fwd)

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Tue Apr 15 21:45:59 UTC 1997

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Robert Bowman wrote:

> This product is unbelievable.  I am putting in my requisition to triple
> my support staffing now so we can deal with the onslaught of people
> using a product that provides less than desirable results :)

I plan to do something much simpler, and IMHO, much more appropriate.

Install procmail to filter these messages and file them for possible
future examination. Also reply with an auto-generated email that thanks
the person for sending the message and notes that due to the large number
of such machine generated email inquiries it is not possible for a human
being to reply to each one but they are being examined for possible
action.

And then, after looking through some of these, I will have a filter that
sorts them into two piles, /dev/null and another pile with messages which
appear to contain useful information.

In fact, if I can clearly identify messages that are meaningless using
procmail, I will even select separate autogenerated messages. For the ones
that go straight to /dev/null I will explain why the VitalSigns product is
generating flawed reports and I will point the person to a URL with
more information, hopefully info on how to configure VitalSigns to NOT
generate flawed reports.

So don't ask for more staff, just file the messages for now.

procmail is your friend.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049