SNMP probers

Peter peter at tdi.net
Fri Apr 11 17:04:11 UTC 1997

Deepak Jain wrote:

> That is funny, one of our Ascend GRF units ignores SNMP completely (even
> to itself).  (Not desired behavior).

The GRF has a highly tweakable TCP/IP stack.  For example, by default
the
router will only respond to 10 ICMP packets/second (but that number can
be
changed in grinchd.conf, I think).  The router can be passing packets
normally, and if someone is ping flooding an interface on the router,
your own (or your customer's) ping to the router can fail miserably.
This
is not really a router problem.

There are some very good Netstar engineers in Minneapolis (if they
haven't
all frozen to death).  Seek one of them out.

-peter