Outage (planned and unplanned) notification

Billy Biggs ae687 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sat Apr 12 02:23:54 UTC 1997

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Sean Donelan wrote:

> I've noticed the sprint outage list has become very quiet, as has the
> MCI outage list.  They seem to be quiet even during and after widely
> known problems.  The same is true of most providers I bother to track.
> Even those providers I have signed agreements which include notification
> requirements.
> [...]
> Is there anything that will encourage pro-active notification?

I'm thinking that it might be useful about now to set up a decent
notification organization that can seek out network status and outage
information both through standard channels and agreements, as well as
using objective monitoring tools positioned at different ends (what
ends?!) of the net.map.

I think an independant might be able to cut back on the NOC calls, the
ISP requests, and the ping flood.

Would something like this be redundant?  Are there already such orgs in
place?  If the outage lists don't seem to be helping much...

--
Billy Biggs
ae687 at freenet.carleton.ca