Ad Hoc, eDNS, AlterNIC and the bunch

Wayne D. Correia wayne at eff.org
Thu Apr 10 18:23:20 UTC 1997

At 7:40 PM +0300 4/10/97, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
>No one has mentioned anything about adding new root nameservers.  Of the
>over 25 signatories (so far), MCI is just one.  UUnet, Digital, France
>Telecom, EFF, are others that come to mind.  The IAHC was selected by IAB,
>IANA, ISOC, INTA, WIPO, ITU and NSF.  The entire discussion was held in
>public covering 8000 emails over a period of 3 months.  You can see all
>details at www.iahc.org including the MoU that will be signed at the end
>of April in Geneva at the ITU.  No one is adding root servers and gTLDs as
>they wish.  Please do not go by what you read in 3 paragraph newspaper
>articles since much of what is stated is inaccurate.  Go to the site and
>go thru all the materials.

I am still trying to figure out how or why the EFF was listed as a signer.
It's true that a couple of us did have a long conversation with Jon Postel
about the issues and the IAHC's efforts, but we were searching for the
facts. We have yet to make a public statement as to whether or not we're
going to sign, as, with most quickly pushed through policy, it does have
it's flaws. You'll know if and when the EFF is going to get behind this
when *we* issue a press release.

Wayne D. Correia   Electronic Frontier Foundation  tel: +1.415.436.9333
<wayne at eff.org>    1550 Bryant Street              fax: +1.415.436.9993
                   San Francisco, CA 94103 USA     <http://www.eff.org>