Ad Hoc, eDNS, AlterNIC and the bunch

Karl Denninger karl at Mcs.Net
Thu Apr 10 17:19:51 UTC 1997

On Thu, Apr 10, 1997 at 11:31:22AM -0500, Dave Crocker wrote:
> At 11:02 AM -0500 4/10/97, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
> >If the Internet Ad Hoc society actually does convince everyone to switch
> >over, then there is a major problem. Does this mean any group of people
> >who wants to make rules and can get enough publicity can make it happen
>
> 	I'm not sure what "switch over" you refer to.  The IAHC work that
> you refer to was done at the request and with the approval of IANA, the
> responsible agent for the existing DNS root.  Implementation of the IAHC
> plan does not require changing the communities use of roots (i.e., no
> re-targeting) and the only change to the existing roots is the addition of
> some top-level domain points.  Addition of TLDs has been done many times
> over the years.
>
> d/
>

> ----------------------------
> Dave Crocker, Director                                       +1 408 246 8253
> Internet Mail Consortium                                 (f) +1 408 249 6205
> 127 Segre Place                                             dcrocker at imc.org
> Santa Cruz, CA  95060 USA                                 http://www.imc.org
>
> Also: IAHC member, expressing personal opinions          http://www.iahc.org

But the IANA does not own majority of those servers.

In fact NSI owns many of them, and they do not appear to be consenting to
this "work".  In fact, the recent Reuters story indicates that they have
every intention of releasing their *OWN* plan to resolve this issue.

Since several of the root servers are THEIRS, and they appear to have their
own plan, what does that say for the validity of the IAHC work Mr. Crocker?

There is further the issue of the four which are federally funded in whole
or part, and the fact that a plan which shuts out competing business models
may well need congressional authorization (since it is a monopoly grant of
power to a foreign organization and government) in order to be legal.

Of course, none of this seems to bother the IAHC.

Then again, the IAHC has failed to substantiate that any of the IANA servers
will actually *implement* any of their recommendations.  The root server
operators have also been curiously silent on this same point.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal