Network Perf. Speaker Needed

Susan R. Harris srh at merit.edu
Tue Apr 8 12:50:43 UTC 1997

Greetings - we're starting initial agenda planning for the next NANOG
meeting, to be held June 5-6 in Tampa.  Could we interest someone out
there in giving a 20-to-30 minute "Introduction to Network Performance
Measurement?" The talk would explain what it's possible to measure and
give examples of useful types of internal and external measurements (e.g.,
link utilization and DS3/DS1 MIB stats for internal metrics, one-way delay
and packet loss for external.)  What we're aiming for is a discussion of
performance measurement fundamentals - not specifics on what you're
measuring in your network.

The presentation would be followed by a panel discussion with short
reports on specific tools (SNMP tools, ISODE, CMU, tcl etc.), to be
moderated by Randy Bush. We'd also like volunteers to give short reports
as part of the panel.

Please let Bill Norton or me know if you're interested in helping out. And
while we're at it, are there other topics you'd like to hear about at the
meeting?
Susan R. Harris, Ph.D.         Merit Network, Inc.         srh at merit.edu
Phone: (313) 936-2100          Fax:  (313) 747-3185