Peering points

Mike Leber mleber at he.net
Tue Apr 1 21:48:43 UTC 1997

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Sean Donelan wrote:
> So the question becomes, if I do this again, how do I choose the six

By using publically available traffic stats like:

PEAK		EXCHANGE
750 Mbps	http://www.mfsdatanet.com:80/MAE/west.giga.overlay.html
750 Mbps	http://www.mfsdatanet.com:80/MAE/east.giga.overlay.html
180 Mbps 	http://www.pacbell.com/products/business/fastrak/networking/nap/stats/graph_forecast.033197.html
110 Mbps?	http://nap.aads.net/~nap-stat/AADS.NAP/atm/970325.html (This looks broken)

Interesting note: MAE-WEST is now starting to handle more traffic than
MAE-EAST.  If my memory serves me correct, early last year MAE-WEST was
doing something like 350 Mbps and MAE-EAST was doing 550 Mbps.

> Or is the entire thing irrelevant, because everyone is moving to private
> bilateral connections.  And the important thing is how many providers
> does someone peer

Lacking the ability to find out who peers with who (except by looking
through the RADB :) and the ability to know private flow data (except for
ours) a rough metric to answer this is the amount of daily traffic handled
by an exchange (as shown above) and the number of routes seen by the
routing arbiter there (from http://www.merit.edu/ipma/routing_table/).

Based on the continuing growth in both members and traffic of the exchange
points, I'd say economics drives exchange points.

Mike.

| Mike Leber             Direct Internet Connections     Voice 408 282 1540 |
| Hurricane Electric      Web Hosting & Co-location        Fax 408 971 3340 |
| mleber at he.net                                           http://www.he.net |