Peering versus Transit

Neil J. McRae neil at EASYNET.NET
Mon Sep 30 09:13:12 UTC 1996

On Mon, 30 Sep 1996 08:34:46 +0100 (BST)
 Peter Galbavy <peter at wonderland.org> alleged:

> Some of us are very sensitive about this, and once when we lost
> all connecivity to the outside of the UK (going back about 18 months
> now) we made sure we *phoned* a couple of LINX peers (thanks to
> those at PIPEX and JANET at the time) to ask if we could just add
> forwarder entried in our DNS servers towards them for some level
> of name service. JANET was also down - same tx atlanic cable, but
> PIPEX had connectivity. They said yes, and then we did. I treat
> unwelcome data at whatever level as theft of something that belongs
> to me/us etc.

Slight detail, The LINX didn't exist then and it was PIPEX and EUNET
that was used.

> The really sad thing is that in that 18 months, I can't see the
> above being repeated again, since most ISPs are now run by faceless
> monsters and not the engineers (who made it all work). Death of
> the net predicted... pics at 11.

Yah, I agree. I'm seeing it more and more everyday!

Regards,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.          E A S Y N E T  G R O U P  P L C
neil at EASYNET.NET        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)