Best way to deal with bad advertisements?

Neil J. McRae neil at EASYNET.NET
Mon Sep 30 08:56:39 UTC 1996

On Sun, 29 Sep 1996 19:35:31 +0100 (BST)
 Peter Galbavy <peter at wonderland.org> alleged:

> The really sad thing is that while international lines between
> European countries cost so much (the T1 cost from London to New
> York is about the same as an E1 from London to Paris/Amsterdam/Stockholm
> etc) it is easier for people to buy more bandwidth to the US rather
> than European IX's - which would be (a) sensible and (b) the "stick"
> to demonstrate to the US NSPs that "we don't need them" - note the
> quotes.

Well thats not true. UK ISP's especially dialup supplying companies
such as Demon and Easynet do need the USA. Firstly most of us
give away software that is from the USA. MSIE and Netscape are
the classic examples. The first place most new Internet users go to
is www.netscape.com. If you've got a slow connection to netscape
you will lose custom. Its nothing to do with what the ISP needs. Its
to do with what the *CUSTOMER* [remember that person that makes it all
possible] wants. 60% of our userbase require fast access to the USA. So
in any future planning we have to take that into account.

Regards,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.          E A S Y N E T  G R O U P  P L C
neil at EASYNET.NET        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)