Peering versus Transit

Peter Galbavy peter at wonderland.org
Mon Sep 30 07:46:31 UTC 1996

> I think Peter G's original point was that they are spending $8m/yr
> (L5m/yr) connecting to just MAE-East. I'm not sure I agree with Peter
> that constructing a network beyond that in the US is entirely redundant,
> but it is surely illogical to class an $8m network in the same category
> as just a $5700 network.

Yes, but not MAE-East. Contructing a network would be nice, but to what
puprose ? I take three DS3s to MAE-{East,West) and the Sprint NAP...
three more BGP sessions per distributed peer, three more routers, three
more engineers.

Great for the economy and router manufacterers (do you know how to
say "Cisco are not the only fruit" ?) but when I can (at my cost
maybe - but it would be nice to see some others pay there share)
install a single line to each peers nearest real NOC and get *and* give
connectivity that way, then why not ?

If this mythical line is to an IX then no problem, but pleas, not
three or four. Pointless, pointless, pointless...

Regards,
Peter Galbavy                                           peter at wonderland.org
@ Home                                                 phone://44/973/499465
in Wonderland                              http://www.wonderland.org/~peter/
                               snail://UK/NW1_6LE/London/21_Harewood_Avenue/