Peering versus Transit

Chris A. Icide chris at nap.net
Mon Sep 30 04:08:23 UTC 1996

Hrm, seems like only the To: and Subject: went through
the first time?!?  How I do love GUI mail interfaces.......

> > From: Deepak Jain
> > Subject: Re: Peering versus Transit
> > Date: Sunday, September 29, 1996 5:31 PM
> >

> From: Deepak Jain
> Subject: Re: Peering versus Transit
> Date: Sunday, September 29, 1996 5:31 PM

..

> What are the various opinions on this behavior?

Well, in most cases, the major provider will have
a policy that states something like, "you are
either a peer or a customer, pick one."  Some
providers MAY allow you to do both, under
certain circumstances.

As an upstream provider, allowing someone to
peer while also buying transit requires special
management.  I would suggest two things.

1.	If the ISP is using BGP for both sessions,
	have the ISP use two seperate AS numbers.

2.	Have the ISP provide you a list of the specific
	routes of said ISP and ISP's customers, and
	implement a set of IP filters based on origin
	at your peer router.

#1 really doesn't gain you much, but it does provide
some assistance in trouble shooting a routing problem
with the Peer/Customer.

#2 is the big help.  If the customer tries to default to
you over the peer link, you would only take "peer"
traffic.  Also, it puts the onus of correct and sane
route management on the Peer/Customer.  If they
don't manage thier routes correctly, they will
experience some hard to trace routing problems.

Chris A. Icide
Nap.Net