Peering versus Transit

Deepak Jain deepak at jain.com
Sun Sep 29 22:31:36 UTC 1996

> It is asymmetrical, but say you are hosting a lot of www sites and have
> mostly out-going traffic this solution will work and give you 10, or even
> 100 meg FDDI out, but only the size of your transit pipe in.
>
> The main problem with is is that A) It is not ethical B) the provider
> you are doing this to will figure it out someday and see you in court C)
> it is not nice. :-)

This is something a few of our routing engineers have been joking a mom&pop
ISP could do.

They get a 10 or 45Mbit connection from big six provider A.

They get a 100Mbit connection at Nap B.

They default all of their traffic at Nap B to Provider A's router at Nap
B.

This way they get [theoretically] up to 145Mbits into provider A's
network and get the traffic back inside of provider A's network.

What are the various opinions on this behavior?

Regards,

-Deepak.