Advice on dealing with Sprint

Neil J. McRae neil at EASYNET.NET
Sat Sep 28 13:29:29 UTC 1996

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:55:17 -0700
 Vadim Antonov <avg at quake.net> alleged:

> Take a look someday in the BSD/OS sources to find out who wrote
> RISCOM and ethernet drivers and PPP stack for it :)

Yeah I know :-) Although I know that from history and not the current
2.1 sources. You don't fancy doing a NetBSD driver ? ;-)

> Unfortunately you're comparing apples and elephants.  ICM routers
> were (and still are) the most convolutedly configured and most
> overtaxed routers in the universe.  Running a week-old revision of
> cisco code, at that, because previous releases had bugs which made
> it even less useful.

Well we were plugged into SL-DC-2 then SL-DC-14, not sure about the latter,
but yeah I remember the situation at the time. It was fun! :-)

> INSC had a big staffing problem -- as soon as a new person learned
> stuff he's leaving for a salary two times higher, and for a much
> less stressful environment.  Sprint management was never able to
> recognize the fact that Internet backbone skills is a seller's market.

Yah, I wish someone would point that out to ISP's in the UK ;-)

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.          E A S Y N E T  G R O U P  P L C
neil at EASYNET.NET        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)