Advice on dealing with Sprint

Vadim Antonov avg at quake.net
Fri Sep 27 20:55:17 UTC 1996

Neil J. McRae <neil at EASYNET.NET> wrote:

>When you were at Sprint, I was at Demon and we BGP peered with
>Sprint first using NetBSD/sparc IPX's with Morningstar PPP
>then using BSD/OS and RISCOM N2 cards. One thing that I remember is
>that your routers went insane _far_ more often that ours did.

Take a look someday in the BSD/OS sources to find out who wrote
RISCOM and ethernet drivers and PPP stack for it :)

Unfortunately you're comparing apples and elephants.  ICM routers
were (and still are) the most convolutedly configured and most
overtaxed routers in the universe.  Running a week-old revision of
cisco code, at that, because previous releases had bugs which made
it even less useful.

>INSC were never much use and the only way we got things done was to
>cc: you and Sean in any reporting of faults. Nevertheless, both you
>and Sean where always very helpful.

INSC had a big staffing problem -- as soon as a new person learned
stuff he's leaving for a salary two times higher, and for a much
less stressful environment.  Sprint management was never able to
recognize the fact that Internet backbone skills is a seller's market.

--vadim