Advice on dealing with Sprint

Neil J. McRae neil at EASYNET.NET
Thu Sep 26 18:05:38 UTC 1996

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996 13:37:00 -0400
 "Perry E. Metzger" <perry at piermont.com> alleged:

> Not, you understand, that I think the global routing table should be
> kept in control, but I find it to be extraordinarily annoying that in
> a world where cheap PCs have been able to take 128meg on their
> motherboards for years (indeed, many can take far more!) and in which
> workstations frequently have 64M of memory in them, there are routers
> (many still sold!) which lack the slots to take more than 32M of
> memory.

Its insane, I use BSD based routers and  have little problems, I can
take up to 1 gig of memory in my routers...

I'm about to install 2 NetBSD routers to peer on the LINX, and
I'm hoping for the same uptimes for my NetBSD core routers:

NetBSD defender.router.EASYNET.NET 1.2_BETA NetBSD 1.2_BETA (ROUTER) #2: Sat Jul 13 03:25:14 BST 1996     neil at defender.router.easynet.co.uk:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/ROUTER i386
 6:55PM  up 73 days,  6:17, 2 users, load averages: 0.06, 0.08, 0.08
GateD-defender.router.EASYNET.NET> show ip route
100 IP radix tree: 81032 nodes, 41812 routes

This router handles our internal BGP4 to our 3 border routers, and carries
a full routeing table, and will handle updates for the LINX.

"It works." If only more people would try it. :(

Regards,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.          E A S Y N E T  G R O U P  P L C
neil at EASYNET.NET        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)