Advice on dealing with Sprint

Patrick J. Chicas pjc at off-road.com
Thu Sep 26 07:13:00 UTC 1996

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Avi Freedman wrote:

> > > I spoke to a sprint salesperson about 2 weeks ago and was told that I
> > > could not get any kind of BGP4 peering with Sprint unless I had a
> > > Cisco 7000 series router.

Someone is on drugs..

We BGP peered with ANS and Sprint via a Cisco 4500 with only 8mb RAM. The
trick was the utilization of the Cisco "AS Prepend" feature were we routed
distinct Sprint <-> Sprint traffic over the fractional DS-1 they provided,
the rest of the traffic over a more local, and less expensive
DS-1 connection to ANS. Later as Sprint advertised more routes we bumped
the 4500 to 16mb.

 Patrick J. Chicas
 Email: pjc at unix.off-road.com
 The Off-Road Center of The 'Net!