Advice on dealing with Sprint

Jon Green jon at worf.netins.net
Wed Sep 25 22:44:06 UTC 1996

Hi folks-

I have a problem that I need some advice on, and figured this was a good place
to turn.  We are attempting to connect a T1 to Sprint in order to multi-home
our network.  Currently we are connected to multiple points on MCI's backbone,
and have just installed a T1 to UUnet.  We heard back from Sprint today..
they are rejecting us as a customer because we do not use Cisco routers.
Apparently they feel that Bay Networks routers are not capable of routing
Internet traffic, ignoring the fact that they already peer with ANS and
several other providers using Bay routers.

OK, Cisco bigots (hi Craig!), quit laughing at me for a second and give me
some help here.  Is there any technical justification for what Sprint is
telling me?  I have downstream customers using Bay, Cisco, HP, 3com,
Compatible Systems, and even Proteon routers.  All of them are able to
connect with me just fine.  I've been running BGP4 peering with MCI for
over a year now, it also works fine.  I can't find a single valid reason
that Sprint should even need to "approve" my router vendor, except that
some short-sighted engineer at Sprint doesn't understand that we live in
a multi-vendor world.  I'm obviously not going to force Sprint to accept
my money, but this screws up a lot of the plans we have made in building
our network.

Any suggestions welcome.  Anyone from Sprint who'd like to comment, please
do so.

-Jon

    *      Jon Green            *   Wide-Area Networking Technician   *
   *     jon at netINS.net         *   Iowa Network Services, Inc.        *
  *  Finger for Geek Code/PGP   *   312 8th Street, Suite 730           *
 *  #include "std_disclaimer.h" *   Des Moines, IA 50309                 *