New Denial of Service Attack on Panix

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Mon Sep 23 07:30:00 UTC 1996

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Brian Carpenter   CERN-CN wrote:

> > We just need to put out a request to ISPs

> > I would suggest this is done directly rather than through 'bodies' such =
> > as IEPG

> Peter, how do you suggest sending a request "directly" to all
> ISPs in the world? Is there is a mailing list for them?

I'm on about 8 ISP mailing lists. About half of North America's ISP's are
there and many from other countries. I have posted most of the action
items regarding SYN floods to those lists and I'm sure this stuff is
picked up and passed on to other lists like the Philippine ISP mailing
list. There are also the various magazines that many ISP's follow and
these are all doing stories on the SYN floods.

Since people like me who pass this info around directly to ISP's cannot
yet afford to attend NANOG meetings it might be a good idea to make sure
that "action items" for ISP's get posted to this list. It's not perfect
but then, that's the real world for ya. :-)

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049