New Denial of Service Attack on Panix

Hans-Werner Braun hwb at nlanr.net
Sat Sep 21 17:05:12 UTC 1996

I am actually fairly serious. The tremendous amount of email this
generated amazes me. With the amount of effort going into that, I
suspect may be 40% or more of the problem could already be alleviated
if people would just go out and coordinate and do it. Yes, it will not
resolve things at the 100th percentile, but what are we optimizing for? A
solution for generations to come? Or something that helps, and that
can perhaps be augmented by some other means, such as spot
measurements (especially for events that last hours).

All reminds me actually a little of the movie Star Trek Generations,
when Picard an Soran were on this planet, about minutes away from the
whole star system being blown to kingdom come, Picard helplessly throwing
little rocks at the shield, and Soran asking him something like "don't
you have anything better to do."