A modest proposal

Kelly J. Cooper kcooper at noc.bbn.com
Wed Sep 18 23:10:29 UTC 1996

On Sep 18,  6:54pm, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
*   *   From: Dalvenjah FoxFire <dalvenjah at dal.net>
*   *
*   *   I haven't used any myself, but apparently there are several software
*   *   packages out there with a pretty graphical front end, complete with
*   *   Hollywood-style "Click to destroy machine" buttons and menus.
*   *
*   *Uh huh, right.  If you ever actually see anything like this, lemme know.
*
*   Ok, RS.
*
*   One piece of software is called UpYours! and it's a mailbombing
*   tool built by a group called "Global kOS" to run over Windows95.
*   It's got a lovely interface including buttons for "BOMB" "ULTRA"
*   and "STOP" with an input window for "Countdown" start & stop
*
*How did the topic get changed from packet-spewing attacks to
*application-layer attacks?

It didn't.  Dalvenjah stated attack software packages with graphical
front ends existed.  You expressed doubt.  I responded with evidence.
Just because this one happens to be application layer doesn't mean
there aren't others out there to run any number of different attacks.
The tools are being built.  They are designed with ease of use in
mind.

How did the topic change from fighting network attacks to nit-picking?
My point was the possibility for widespread use of simplistic attack
mechanisms.  Even if they're trivial to block, with enough attackers
using them with enough varying patterns, saturation becomes the issue
no matter what the exploit.

Kelly J.

--
Kelly J. Cooper                 Network Operations Security
BBN Planet Corporation          phone   800-632-7638