syn attack and source routing

Hank Nussbacher hank at ibm.net.il
Wed Sep 18 11:00:49 UTC 1996

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996 03:17:27 -0400  Curtis Villamizar wrote:
>If source routing is blocked at the end site it doesn't help any
>toturn it off in the backbones and turning it off destroys the ability
>to trace routing problems that customers report (short of finger
>pointing to another provider or giving the customer the run around by
>successive handoffs to other NOCs debugging, any "I can't get there
>from here" is sort of hopeless if you can't traceroute -g).

Since more and more are blocking source routing and breaking traceroute -g
then those that block it at their router should at the very least make
a WWW traceroute available from their system so as to diagnose those
problems you mention.  Almost all those that I have in my web site
(http://www.ibm.net.il/traceroute) are customers connected to major ISPs.
I think the 10 majors should have on their backbones a WWW traceroute
as above.

>Curtis

Hank