SYN floods (was: does history repeat itself?)

Pat Calhoun pcalhoun at usr.com
Fri Sep 13 20:49:45 UTC 1996

     Joel,

        If I understand what you are stating is that the filtering which I
     have described could work for dial-up users, but not for customers
     which have a dedicated "leased" line into the network. You state that
     this is not possible due to the CPU overhead that the filtering of
     each packet creates.

        Out of curiosity, what would the CPU usage be on a typical router
     in your installation??? Also, do we know what the overhead is for a
     single filter at the ingress on a router such as a Cisco???

     Pat R. Calhoun                                e-mail: pcalhoun at usr.com
     Project Engineer - Lan Access R&D                phone: (847) 933-5181
     US Robotics Access Corp.