SYN Flooding [info] (fwd)

Mr. Jeremy Hall jhall at rex.isdn.net
Sun Sep 15 23:23:25 UTC 1996

-->
-->> > Alexis feels that it's very important to get wide press coverage, to
-->> > help to force ISPs/NSPs to filter outbound crap from their network.
-->>
-->> While I agree with the goal here, I've been a bit disturbed by the
-->> undercurrent of antipathy toward 'clueless small ISPs'.  I'm as small
-->> as ISPs come, and I've been outbound filtering against source
-->> addresses not in my address space at least since last April.  How many
-->> of the clueful here can say that?  Not many, I'll venture.  For that
-->> matter, when did Alexis begin filtering outbound?
-->>
-->> I'd like the concept changed from 'forcing' to 'educating' and to have
-->> it done without disparagement for not already knowing.
-->>
-->> Dick St.Peters,       Gatekeeper, Pearly Gateway, Ballston Spa, NY
-->
-->Umm, if you've been outbound filtering against source addresses not in your
-->address space for many moons, then by definition you are not a 'clueless
-->small ISP'...
-->
-->Avi
-->

I have been looking through the Bay Networks MIB specification to see how
to filter outbound packets. I understand the concept of filtering
outbound packets, but am unable to use their site manager program to
implement the filters. I know where to look in the mib, but the MIB
specification says, "a binary representation of the filter" here and does
not elaborate. If it were a cisco, I could easily filter our outbound
traffic. If any of you have access to a bay networks router that is not
in production, please consider creating some sample filters so I can
figure out how to create my own. or if you have a batch file that does
it, that would be nice too.

Thanks in advance.
              | Jeremy Hall      Network Engineer |
              | ISDN-Net, Inc    Office +1-615-371-1625 |
              | Nashville, TN    and the southeast USA  |
              | jhall at isdn.net   Pager  +1-615-702-0750 |