Top-50 Report

Dean Gaudet dgaudet at hotwired.com
Sun Sep 15 00:15:09 UTC 1996

Jon Zeeff <jon at branch.com> wrote:
>  ISPs should provide
>good prices on backups connections (ie, connections that almost
>never get any traffic).

And then when they do get traffic they'll be overloaded.  Either
overloaded because the backup provider has no way to budget for your
needs, or because you and a hundred other people are using them for
backup.  Personally I wouldn't trust "backup" lines that I'm not using
regularly.  Who knows if they'll even be working when I need them.

If there were an analysis of the dual-home pairings we might find
that only a handful (say 8) of pairings have significant numbers of
dual-homed customers.  I.e. suppose that MCI/UUNET is the most common
dualhoming pair, then a jointly allocated block could be divided amongst
their dual-homed customers.  Not perfect by far, but something worth
considering.

Dean