SYN floods (was: does history repeat itself?)

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Thu Sep 12 18:59:24 UTC 1996

On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, Justin W. Newton wrote:

> We are currently blocking any outgoing packets which have a source address
> which is not advertised by us.  I have also crossposted Avi's and Craig's
> access filter list for Border routers to the inet-access mailing list which
> has approx 2,000 subscribers, mostly small ISP's.  Maybe it'll help.  Maybe
> not.

One thing that would help is for somebody to translate that filter list to
Livingston IRX format since a lot of smaller ISP's use those boxes.

Someone else made a comment that many ISP's wouldn't have a clue what a
SYN packet is. Actually, now a lot more of them do because I have
forwarded some of the discussion from here onto a few ISP mailing lists.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049