NetSCARF Workshop Oct. 23

William B. Norton wbn at umich.edu
Wed Sep 11 14:54:05 UTC 1996

Hi all -

The Merit Network Statistics Collection And Reporting Facility (NetSCARF)
Project will be hosting a free workshop in the afternoon on the day *before*
NANOG.  We will provide an overview of the (1.x and October release 2.0)
technology (see agenda below), future release plans, and open the floor to
feedback and discussion about how you would like to see the product evolve.

The NetSCARF SCION software package is a public domain network statistics
collection and reporting package that uses SNMPv1 or SNMPv2u to collect
stats from network devices and reports the network performance on the web.
Release 2 is scheduled to be released early October and features automated
stats compression and an updated OpStats client and server.

For this first workshop, we have openings for the first fifty (50) that
register at http://www.merit.edu/~netscarf. If you get a chance, read the
Connexions NetSCARF article on our web page before the workshop. The second
workshop will be held in January or February 1997 and include a discussion
of the 3.0 release.

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at wbn at merit.edu or
call at 313.936.2656.

Thanks,

Bill
NetSCARF Workshop - October 23, 1996 1-5PM
Welcome, Model and Rationale - Bill
        NSFNET Operations
        3 Graphs of proven utility
        Proposal to RAC
Architecture Overview - Andy
        NetSCARF Model - abstractions, functionality divisions, etc.
Scollect Component - Bill
        SNMP Overview
        Scollect Task
        Storage of Stats: Rtdata Tree
Scook Component - Tom
        Motivation behind aggregating data (statistics on file sizes, etc.)
        The four aggregate files
        e-mail report
        New compression process
OpStats Model - Andy