customers and web servers and level one naps

Steve Schnell, Sprint Corporation schnell at gsd.sprint.com
Wed Sep 11 14:49:58 UTC 1996

At 11:30 -0700 9.10.96, Michael Dillon wrote:

>It's not a matter of experience. It's a matter of what a level-2 device is
>and how it normally works. There is no security at level 2.

Yes there is rudimentary security at L2.  It's called MAC-based filtering,
which is a feature of DEC's GIGAswitch.  I believe that SprintLink uses the
capability in a form to logically separate backbone router traffic from
access router traffic when both routers are homed to the same GIGAswitch.
With filtering, you can establish virtual workgroups where only certain
devices can communicate with other devices in the same group, or with
specific devices in other groups.

ss

                    Phone:  1.816.854.2113

                      Fax:  1.816.854.2201

             Sprint Pager:  1.888.366.7890, PIN 398.6644

   Text Page via Internet:  3986644 at pagenet.net