SYN floods continue

Robert Bowman rob at elite.exodus.net
Wed Sep 11 10:24:26 UTC 1996

I must say that I agree about the SYN floods being a huge problem.  A lot
of our customers are getting "attacked" as well as possibly some of our
machines.

While I despise the "death of the net" phrase, I agree something must be
done.  But a few filters in a few core routers in a few small ISPs will have
a null effect on the situation.

Until this problem becomes gigantic enough that it affects large networks
such as MCI, Sprint, UUNet, etc. I don't predict much will be done.
So I presume the best we can hope for is that..  and this may sound a bit
nasty..  that the bigger networks start getting attacked.  That is the only
way there will be a call to arms.

Rob
Exodus Communications Inc.