The SWAMP

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.com
Wed Sep 11 02:44:19 UTC 1996

Deepak Jain writes:
> I can see it taking a while for the initial laziness to be overcome, but
> once it is in place, it could provide for a lot of improvements including
> multiply-rooted TLDs.
>
> The big thing is WHO would do this distribution? The Internic's systems
> are already too overwhelmed and customer support is spotty at best.
>
> If we pass it to those service providers that service others [i.e. 1st
> tier] then its more work for them, but I can see it being a much more
> reliable process.

???

Surely you jest.

Well, maybe not. I can see *some* of the tier-1 providers being reasonably
reliable about this.

On the other hand... I can name at least three national providers that I
wouldn't trust to configure their *own* DNS properly. (Don't ask, this isn't
the time or place for flamewars. :-)

While I'm not particularly enchanted with the Internic, I think that their
day-to-day proceedures are working tolerably well. (Note that I'm not
discussing their policies, just implementation). I'd rather see them doing
it than many other organizations.

/a

---
Alexis Rosen   Owner/Sysadmin,
PANIX Public Access Unix & Internet, NYC.
alexis at panix.com