The SWAMP

Avi Freedman freedman at netaxs.com
Mon Sep 9 05:37:11 UTC 1996

> > I'd say the RA machines and root servers are something of common interest,
> > esp. to the people who "make things go".  I can't think of many/any other
> > examples that I'd say deserve such special treatment.
>
> Skip RSs.  They use address space from networks on which they reside,
> perfectly natural and reasonable.
>
> 'Deserve'?  Is this like China 'deserves' a /8?  Do root servers have egos
> that need coddling?
>
> Why do they NEED special address space?  What's the matter with the address
> space of the normal networks in which they reside?  If there is someing bad
> about those networks, then they need fixing, and access to the root (or
> other) servers will be fixed with that change.
>
> randy

Actually, I put my foot in this only to point out that if you're going
to announce routes, wasting 253*10 addresses might be worth not having to
deal with legitimizing /32 announcements for any reason.

But thinking about it, if each root server has a semi-permanent IP/route
attached to it, it's easier to move it to a different provider in case
of trouble/emergency/etc..., no?

Avi