MAE-East still no generator

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Sun Sep 8 02:08:34 UTC 1996

On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Paul A Vixie wrote:

> OK, market research time.  If someone else were selling datacenter/colocation
> space in a high quality facility less than a mile from MAE-East, lit with MFS
> and several other bypass carriers, with its own GIGAswitches, would anybody
> reading this feel the urge to relocate their hub and just leave one 100Mb/s
> dark fibre over to MFS, meanwhile building preferred peerings with folks who
> took the same route?  Assume that the costs were similar to what MFS charges,
> bearing in mind that more space would be available and you might want to pay
> for more of it since it would have 24x7 remote hands, AC/DC with UPS/generator,
> and all the rest of that kind of good goopy stuff.

Well I am building one, just not near MAE-East. I think that if I build one
1 mile away and had 24x7 remote hands, AC/DC, redundant fiber paths MFS
and others, UPS/generator with redundant by-pass, and much more people
would not move. I know that some would, but to make it work you would need
to get Sprint, MCI, UUNet, and ANS to move and I think that would be hard
to do. Even if you were using my model and gave Sprint, MCI, UUNet, and
ANS free rack space and free gigaswitch port.

> (Sigh, yes, it's true.  I helped with DEC's Palo Alto thing, and now I've got
> the fever, and possibly the funding, but I don't know if it's worthwhile.)

Don't think it is. :-(

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales at netrail.net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34