Hey, anyone who wanna help improve the net stability?

Paul Ferguson pferguso at cisco.com
Thu Sep 5 22:36:35 UTC 1996

[cc: list mercifully trimmed]

Jim,

Regadless of whether the address space is IPv4 or IPv6 (or IPv8 or
whatever nonsense), the same problem would exist with this number
of prefixes. This is *not* an issue of 'which address space is
hosed', but rather, how to put into place practical allocation and
aggregation strategies to keep the total number of prefixes to
a minimum.

It would appear that while you seem overly anxious to say 'I told
you so', you've completely ignored the technical discussions on
why the problem exists in the first place, and why the allocation
and aggregation methodologies need vast improvement than history
has shown us.

This is completely orthogonal to 'other address spaces'.

- paul