Hey, anyone who wanna help improve the net stability?

Avi Freedman freedman at netaxs.com
Thu Sep 5 18:46:02 UTC 1996

Umm, Gordon, read what Paul said.

He was saying that he suspected that the new /24s are in the swamp.
And even Sprint listens to any /24s from there.

The swamp is basically the old "Classful" address space.
What Sean did was to say "You can use your old 'Class C's
but I have to stop the table-size growth in *new allocations*".

Avi

> Hi Paul,
>
> you comment leaves me confused.  25,000 24s up 20% in the last six months
> means 5,000 NEW prefix 24s in the global routing tables.  Where did they
> come from?  I ask because I had thought that it was just about impossible

They either came from:

1) The swamp, or
2) Sprintlink customers

Sean's answer to 2) would be that other providers should adopt similar
filters.

> to get a 24 routed at the nets defaultless core. And that this
> impossibility has been around for at least the last 6 months.
>
> I thought that if "cooknet" as a new MCI customer has a 24 handed to it by
> mci all nice and cidrized that "cooknet's" 24 would never appear in your
> list being aggregated by mci along with other 24s to make a smaller prefix

True if MCI aggregated properly.  But if you're dual-homed to Sprintlink,
Sprint'd announce it for you - and if you used a 2-year-old "Class C"
obtained for "cooknet" from the NIC, Sprint would hear that and/or
announce it for you (depending on whether you're a customer, of course).

> that would be announced eventually in the global tables?  Have I
> misunderstood something or is theory diverging from practice.

Avi