"Building the Internet backbone"

Steve Schnell, Sprint Corporation schnell at gsd.sprint.com
Wed Sep 4 21:18:38 UTC 1996

Interesting sales pitch by PacBell.  However, the article is littered with
technical inaccuracies and claims not entirely true.  For instance,
Sprint's NAP, which was operational in 3Q94 had virtual connections to
every Sprint POP in the U.S. by way of its nationwide ATM service.  In
addition, which ISPs are lined up to take advantage of PacBell's 622 Mbps
ports by year's end?  Which routers will they use?

ss

At 12:43 9.4.96, Stephen Balbach wrote:
>"Building the Internet backbone"
>
>Take a virtual tour of a busy Network Access Point
>
>by George lawton
>
>SunWorld Online.
>
>http://www.sun.com/sunworldonline/swol-09-1996/swol-09-nap.html
>
>Abstract
>
>     The Internet, of course, consists of many networks strung together.
>     The Internet's skeleton is made up of high-capacity trunk lines
>     maintained by telephone companies at sites called "NAPs." This
>     article outlines the role of NAPs, and profiles Pacific Bell's NAP in
>     particular. (2,700 words)
>

>---
>Stephen Balbach  "Driving the Internet To Work"
>VP, ClarkNet     due to the high volume of mail I receive please quote
>info at clark.net   the full original message in your reply.

   Phone:  1.816.854.2113
   Fax:    1.816.854.2201

   Sprint Pager:  1.888.366.7890, PIN 398.6644

   Text Page via Internet:  3986644 at pagenet.net

****