Agenda for next NANOG

Avi Freedman freedman at netaxs.com
Wed Sep 4 13:41:12 UTC 1996

> > Looking at it strictly from a technical level, there is little difference
> > between a private interconnect and the connection between an ISP and  their
> > upstream provider if they have one.   (we might consider debating this
> > assumption especially in terms of scale :-))
>
> 	Actually, the traditional point2point link between any
> 	two ISPs is a private interconnect.  It does not have to
> 	be a provider/subscriber relationship.
>
> --bill

Except for what one does to/with the routes learned via the BGP session
involved in such an interconnect...  With a "private interconnect" between
"peers" one does not redistribute routes heard from one peer to another;
with a "upstream" - "downstream" relationship, one does redistribute routes
hears from one peer to another, thus giving the "downstream" transit to
those other peers.

I'm clarifying for others; I know you understand the difference :)

Avi