MFS WorldCom/WilTel/LDDS

Peter Ford peterf at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 3 22:15:02 UTC 1996

All of them do, to my knowledge.  It's Metcalfe et al who are
calling for change in the direction of resource reservation and
per-connection charging.

--vadim

Vadim,

Metcalfe certainly is not the first, or the last, to call for
"reservations" and last time I looked a lot of the work in the IETF is
centered on this area.  This does bring up the interesting point of
will/should the Internet business model change to support reservations.

Let's assume some kind of "promise" beyond the current best effort service
is offered.  Do you really believe this will not be based on usage?

peter