Agenda for next NANOG

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Sep 3 14:48:00 UTC 1996

Mornin' Guy,

> [] to what extent does a given exchange point (NAP/MAE/etc) constrain
>    the performance that a user sees (in what a user thinks of as end-
>    to-end).  For example, an FTP could flow at 800 kb/s for a given
>    pair of users, except that MAE-north is congested, so the FTP can
>    only flow at 400 kb/s.

And what type of congestion is it, medium? switch? router? transport?  I
need to know what to fix.

> [] to what extent does a given exchange point constrain the performance
>    that a provider sees (in what a provider thinks of as end-to-end).
>    For example, a given pair of backbones could sustain 20 Mb/s over a
>    private interconnect with acceptable packet loss, but can only sustain
>    10 Mb/s over the Altoona NAP.
> From different perspectives, each of these notions of end-to-end has
> meaning.  Would you want to consider one or the other or both in the
> panel?

It's the users who pay the bills, but it's only at the provider level that I
(a self-appointed NANOG archetype) can act.  Being vastly undereducated, I
am forced to consider both at the moment.  If I get smarter (fat chance),
focus may be more appropriate.  Feel free to have a bash (and that's what it
takes sometimes) to educate me.

randy