DC-ISOC Meeting About Domain Names

Russ Haynal russ at navigators.com
Thu Oct 17 22:14:53 UTC 1996

I thought this meeting announcement may be of interest to members of this
list (especially if you are in the mid-atlantic)
Russ Haynal

The Washington DC Chapter of the Internet Society  (DC-ISOC)
announces its Next Event!

   Domain Names - Issues, Policies, and Solutions

           Tuesday,  December 3, 1996,  7-9 p.m.

There have been many pressures building on the Domain Name System,
including rapid growth of .com, trademark disputes, and increasing amounts
of litigation.  Join DC-ISOC to hear from Industry leaders how domain names
are being handled and what steps are being taken to possibly expand the
domain name space.

Confirmed speakers include:

Dr. Donald N. Telage, President  and COO of Network Solutions, Inc., which
manages the InterNIC Registry administering  the .com, .net, .edu, and .org
top level domains.   Dr. Telage will discuss:
  - Issues involved in operating a domain name registry.
  - The latest Internic policies for handling domain name disputes
  - Network Solution's initiatives to ensure that Internic operations keep
pace with the rapidly evolving Internet

Donald M. Heath, President and CEO of the Internet Society.  Don also
serves as chairman of the Internet International  Ad Hoc Committee (IAHC)
which is charged with looking at the complex issues surrounding the current
domain name and registry situation, including trademark and infringement,
economics and administration of registry operations, dispute policies, fees
and international Top Level Domain (iTLDs).

The meeting will be held on Tuesday, December 3, 1996, at the Marriott
Hotel in Tysons Corner from  7-9 p.m.  Please arrive prior to the meeting
start time of 7pm.

Directions:  Washington Beltway (I-495) Exit for Route 7 (Leesburg Pike)
heading west.  The Marriot  is located immediately on  your right.

As with all of our previous events, there is no charge to attend this event.
Seating will be on a first-come, first-seated basis, though  we expect that
there should be room for all those interested.

This meeting of the DC-ISOC is being sponsored by Network Solutions, Inc.
Network Solutions is a leading Internet-Intranet Solution Provider who has
operated the Internic since 1991.

Related Links for this meeting:
  Network Solutions - http://www.netsol.com
  Internic - http://rs.internic.net
  Internet Society - http://www.isoc.org
  Press annoucment about IAHC - http://www.isoc.org/whatsnew/iahcmembers.html
  IAHC - http://www.iahc.org

Call for volunteers!

The DC-ISOC needs YOU.  The DC-ISOC would like to organize a series of
events such as this one throughout 1997.  We are looking for volunteers to
get involved in helping to plan these events and to help shape the
direction of this chapter of the Internet Society.  Anyone interested in
volunteering can come forward after the meeting or contact  Russ Haynal (
russ at navigators.com )

Individuals who are interested in becoming members of DC-ISOC can do so
by joining the Internet Society.  See their web site at
http://www.isoc.org for more information.

The Washington DC Chapter of the Internet Society maintains its own web
site at:  http://www.dcisoc.org  Please feel free to pass this announcement
message along to other interested individuals.  If this message was
forwarded to you, you can join our announcement mailing list through
our web site  ( http://www.dcisoc.org )

      Russ Haynal - Internet Consultant, Instructor, Speaker
 "Helping organizations gain the most benefit from the Internet"
russ at navigators.com     http://www.navigators.com     703-729-1757
Author:"Internet; A Knowledge Odyssey" (Top-rated CD-ROM Tutorial)
       Available from MindQ Publishing:  http://www.mindq.com