Bit-dumping [Was: Re: Peering Policy]

Tony Li tli at jnx.com
Thu Oct 31 07:40:02 UTC 1996

   Might there be a way Cisco (ahem, the router vendor) could add an IP
   or MAC based inbound (or outbound) filter on the next hop?  If so, I could
   maintain a filter that matches my peers.  This would not prevent my peers
   from pointing default at me, but would prevent non-peers from doing so.

I actually looked at doing this.  It turns out that it's non-trivial to
implement, would have serious performance repercussions, is most likely
ISP-specific, and is only applicable while the interconnect remains a
shared media.  Given this, the fact that there are bigger fish to fry, and
my belief that FDDI's days are numbered in interconnect applications, I
recommended against it.

Tony