Provider credibility - does it matter? was Re: Inter-provider relations

alex at relcom.eu.net alex at relcom.eu.net
Mon Oct 28 15:50:26 UTC 1996

This is very food example for this subject. What's is the branch of this
ING network appear in Moscow (may be they have appeared already -
it's not important
there).

The problem is just the same - if we'll establish peering
with this (IGN Russia, having now about 40 customers) this mean for us
to provide 2Mbit back-bone over Moscow, SPB and some other places for
their customers. I prefere if this IGN Russia bue IP from us (and pay some
money - less than for International IP but more than 0.0$).

Just as USA's problems but in another scale (2Mbit instead of 150Mbit,
64K instead of 2Mbit, 40 customers instead of 1,000... And this rabbit
have a chance to became the wolf, throught (I hope) this oily rabbit
can't compete to fast hares in the wild forests).

>   On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
>
>   > http://www.ibm.com/globalnetwork/inetbbon.htm
>   >
>   > Probably the best kept secret in the Internet world.
>
>           I just looked at IBMs page and see it as a step foward in peering. They
>   seem to understand that local traffic needs to stay local. Quoting their page,
>
>   "Within the coming months, we will develop peering with providers in additional
>   countries in order to minimize traffic backhaul between the United States and
>   those countries -- as well as among the countries themselves."
>
>   Now if others would join in, by keep local traffic local, pick up their
>   network traffic at more points, and be at more peering points, I believe that
>   the network will become better in time.
If we bue IP connection in USA, let's they bue IP connection
in Russia too -:). /I am writing for me, not exactly for my company/.
And I think our policy is soft in comparation to some other ISP there (in
Russia) who don't confess Sprint Russia as ISP even (and they are right!).

>   I think that it is great that Netrail is opening up a new nap in Atlanta. There
>   should be a nap in every major city in the US and world wide...
>
>   Back to work now.
>
>   Christian

---
Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)