GigaRouter (Was Re: Cisco as Big Brother))

Daniel Karrenberg Daniel.Karrenberg at ripe.net
Mon Oct 28 13:23:52 UTC 1996

  > alex at relcom.eu.net writes:
  > There exist RIPE and other data bases - yes. They does have
  > route objects. But this objects are (usially) oriented to
  > the As path filtering, not more.

Alexei,

in the original design of the routing registries policies are
based *only* on prefix (network). In ripe-181 you *cannot* use
AS paths to specify policy. We did this for several reasons but
mainly because using AS paths requires knowledge about non-local
topology. That knowledge, if present at all, tends to age very quickly
and it is very easy to shoot yourself in the foot or more vital
body parts using AS path filtering.

AS path capability was later added but I doubt it is in very
widespread use.

  > Who really builds filter lists for the networks via data bases?

There are a couple of providers who do it. The biggest I know of is
ANS.

Regards

Daniel