Airplane crashing into Atlanta-NAP

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Sun Oct 27 02:50:10 UTC 1996

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Darin Wayrynen wrote:

> > Of course, I was half-joking, but why only one Gigaswitch?  Why not two,
> > for redundancy, as is implemented at Pennsauken?
> >
> > With a backup FDDI ring?
> > And I assume, spare power supplies and processors?
>
> Which begs a question: why use a Giga-switch at all?
>
> With the head of line blocking feature/problem and scalability only to
> full duplex 100 mbps is a Gigaswitch something that should be used in
> a next generation NAP?
>
> I'm not suggesting it's intended to be the next generation NAP, but
> you'd think that they would want to use the latest switches and
> technology available, rather than continue down the FDDI road.

200 mbps full duplex, and I think it is fine for now. Come on, MAE-NewYork
that just opened started with only a 10 meg catlyst. I started with a
gigaswitch. No, I don't think the gigaswitch will be in the next
generation NAP, but it is a good start. We are looking at other options
now for the future.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales at netrail.net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34