Airplane crashing into Atlanta-NAP

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Sun Oct 27 02:20:37 UTC 1996

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Avi Freedman wrote:

> > Sorry I was not able to make it to NANOG to present, but I wanted to
> > answer one question. Avi Freedman asked what would we do if a airplane
> > crashed into the side of the Atlanta-NAP. The Atlanta-NAP is at 230
> > Peachtree on the 5th floor. There are two buildings around this building
> > that go up to the 8th floor. If a airplane was to crash in the Atlanta-NAP
> > direction it would not hit our building. If it did hit the other side of
> > the building it may cut MCI metro fiber, but we have MFS and Bell South
> > fiber from two different sides and two different power feed to the 5th
> > floor.
>
> Of course, I was half-joking, but why only one Gigaswitch?  Why not two,
> for redundancy, as is implemented at Pennsauken?
>
> With a backup FDDI ring?
> And I assume, spare power supplies and processors?

Well, hay we started with a gigaswitch, MFS starts with only a FDDI ring,
or even a catlyst. We do plan to add a second gigaswitch around Jan 1st.
We do have spare power supplies and processors yes.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales at netrail.net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34