Incentive for route stabilty

Doug Davis dougd at airmail.net
Sat Oct 26 08:28:33 UTC 1996

> Here's an idea that just popped into my head after NANOG.
>
> Lets assume for a moment that the majority of route instabilty is
> coming from inexperienced providers.  With that assumption in hand
> I propose the following incentive:
>
> Finanical compensation for bgp dampening policies.

Humm.. Given your assumption and your conclusion where would the $ go?

How about, under the same assumptions, that we all just wind up the
dampening timers faster to say 24 hours or so.   A couple of days of
being off the net tends to be a much more direct $ problem.

That said, I like the idea of communcations and/or training, perhaps in
a form of a document for "new" ISPs.  In my vision this tome could take
its place in the collection of literature for new ISP's connecting to a
nap..  Possibly the cost of connecting to a given nap could offset this.
In theory, we are all in this together.  No amount of punishment will
really help solve the problem in the long run (although it is sometimes
fun to think about)