Provider credibility - does it matter? was Re: Inter-provider relations

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Fri Oct 25 20:49:42 UTC 1996

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:

> I think the argument is undermined by the fact that peering in Europe is
> in a fairly dismal state.  Were there a MAE-{London, Paris, Prague} I
> somehow think that the big five at least might throw a T3 or two over.

Aw, come-on! LINX (London InterNet eXchange http://www.linx.org) has been
mentioned several time on this list. And Bill Manning has also several
times mentioned http://www.isi.edu/div7/ra/NAPs/ which lists exchange
points for both London and Paris and several orther European cities
(though not Prague).

This is basic knowledge here that everyone should know.

> Until that happens, nothing will change.  Maybe as access points start
> springing up in Japan, the Phillipines, etc., the roadblocks to such a
> cooperative project will start to be removed.

There are a couple of exchanges in Japan and the Phillipines people are
working on an exchange but have some political stuff to work through. I
suggest you give the above URL at ISI a thorough study. There is a BIG
world out there beyond the borders of the USA.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049