Provider credibility - does it matter? was Re: Inter-provider relations

Jim Dixon jdd at vbc.net
Fri Oct 25 20:55:10 UTC 1996

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

>    To my way of thinking, content providers are net producers of 'benefit'
>    and say dial-up users are consumers.  We adjust our prices to reflect
>    this: if you buy a leased line from us to run a Web server, we charge
>    you less; if you are a dial-up provider, we charge you more.
>
>    Most end users would agree with this model.  They pay their 10 quid /
>    15 bucks a month so that they can surf the Web.  They don't expect the
>    Net to pay them ;-)
>
> So basically what you're saying here is that your ISP should be paying
> you to connect to your web servers, and they will pass the charges on
> downstream to their customers?

That's not far off from what I am saying, except that you have the
roles confused.

I am saying that
*	we (a backbone ISP)
*	charge customer ISPs whose primary business is dialup
	*	(net consumers of benefit)
*	more than those whose business is selling Web space
	or
	who operate a Web server
	*	(net producers of benefit)

We don't do dial-up ourselves; many of our customers do.

--
Jim Dixon              VBCnet GB Ltd +44 117 929 1316  fax +44 117 927 2015
http://www.uk.vbc.net  VBCnet West   +1  408 971 2682  fax +1  408 971 2684